Sunday 17 February 2008

Genie or Princess Jasmine Costume

Genie Costume Close up


My DD wanted to have an I dream of Genie come Princess Jasmine costume for her birthday party a few months ago.

I went on a hunt both online and offline to find a suitable outfit.

Keywords I used:
  • Genie including Jeanie
  • Princess Jasmine
  • Arabian Princess
  • Belly dancer
  • Costume
  • Outfit
  • Dress-up
It needed to be something modest,(bare midriffs were out, thank goodness!), the colour had to be turquoise or close to it, and something suitable for cool weather. I somehow had to also incorporate each of the four different fabrics my daughter had chosen into the costume without it looking odd. I found a few costume styles that I thought Little Miss would like. WRONG. None of them were pretty enough.

Genie Costume

I then set about drafting a pattern, to DD's specifications of course! I used some pattern pieces from several different sources and altered them to create just the right outfit. Did I succeed? According to my daughter I did. Yay!!! What a relief!

The fabrics I used were plain turquoise satin, sequined teal satin, sequined turquoise stretch, and turquoise organza. The trims were some beaded ribbon and some pretty buttons. The left over trims I used to decorate DD's hair and create a genie type headband (i'm not sure of the correct term). All in all It was a success and a fun challenge for me to make.
Sewdelish signature

7 comments:

  1. Aww that's really pretty and the first thing I thought when I saw the pic (before reading the text) was Princess Jasmine! So yay, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tassie and Gina, the costume was so much fun to make, but my DD had more fun wearing it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is gorgeous. How clever are you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im browsing through your blog and I saw this. I love making costumes. This ones looks awesome and I bet your DD does love wearing it. So would I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that this is a post from quite a while ago, but with that said, I like you had to find a princess jasmine costume for my 5 year old. I found this site and used your picture to create a pattern and recreate your outfit in purple and gold as requested by DD. Thank you so much for the pictures, mine turned out great thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you tell me about how much of each fabric you needed? I love this idea for a costume, but am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to sewing. My daughter is about a size 6-7. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment.

To add a link copy the code below and insert the url where it says YOUR BLOG URL(between the quotation marks). It should then show a clickable link in your comment.


<a href="YOUR BLOG URL">See Here</a>


Comments left that include email addresses or blatant advertising will not be published for your protection and that of other viewers.

SewDelish

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...