Friday, 8 May 2009
Buttons, Buttons, Buttons! Sorting, Organizing and Storage
Well as I have mentioned previously I have been busy sorting and organizing in my crafts and sewing room. I have waaaayyyy too many buttons than I will probably ever use, but at least I can always find something suitable for whatever I am working on!
The best way to organise your buttons is to work out what method you use to decide what ones you would like for your project. I usually decide on a colour first and then either choose a plain or fancy buttons before I make my final decision. It may not be the right method for everyone but it works for me.
Special buttons that I know I will never want to use go in a special tin with buttons in handed down to me from my Grandmother.
Sew here we go.............
HOW TO ORGANIZE BUTTONS:
1) Put on some music or watch TV. Sit near a window in daylight. This will help you tell the difference between similar colours - black and navy as well as lemon and cream. Some look deceptively similar in low or even fluorescent light.
2) Take one pile of mixed buttons, have a play and oohhhh and aaahhhhh! Pick them up and let them run through your fingers!
3) Set out lots of small containers, jars, lids or even ziplock bags. Two for each colour group you want to use. One for the plain buttons and one for the fancy buttons.
4) Sort the buttons. I have loads of brown, blue and green buttons so I sort those further into lights and darks. Some of the buttons are also sorted into sets of the same to make them easier to find later.
5) Place your sorted buttons where you can reach them easily and quickly when you need them. Buttons I use regularly I store in containers on a shelf and ones I use less often I store in ziplock bags and place in a box nearby.
I would love to hear how you sort store your buttons. If you have any pictures, place a link in the comments section so I can come and check it out.